Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fit old firefighters

This is me and Lars, I'm 22 Lars is 55. When I met Lars I noticed that he was very friendly, happy to answer questions and help me find my way through the shift. All in all, he struck me as a pretty normal 55 year-old. Lars is a firefighter's firefighter, riding backwards on the was to calls, pulling lines, diving into smoke all with a grin from ear to ear.

Now 50-something year-old firefighters are nothing new to me, I've met many firefighters who are much older. But Lars and his brother firefighters had a surprise for me.

I was in the office with the Chief in Charge and Lars, and the Chief said "I don't like tattoos, but Lars has the best tattoo I've ever seen. You should see it" On command Lars whipped off his shirt and.... well, look at the picture.
Awesome tattoo? Yes, no question.
But what really surprised me was the fact that the tattoo was on what could have been a very fit 30 yearold's body.

The average age of the firefighters I worked with in Copenhagen was about 48, near as I can figure, and Lars' level of physical fitness seemed to be the standard, with out-of-shape firefighters being greatly in the minority.

Lars and his crew invited me to "train" (work out) with them, at the time I didn't realize that Copenhagen firefighters are required to work out for 2 hours each shift, or that I was in for a real butt kicking. We did a CrossFit workout: 10 Push-ups, box jumps, burpies, sit-ups with leg lift/weight, and shoulder presses. then 9 of each, 8 of each etc. No rest, no water, just peddle to the mettle until your done. I was able to hold my own and not be left in the dust, but considering the other firefighters were 30 years my senior, I don't feel entitled to boast. The crews worked out together, shouting and laughing together the whole time.

After the CrossFit routine, we took a water break and got a call for a fire alarm, turned out to be nothing, but it got me my trip to the famous Tivoli Gardens.

When we got back to the station I was in desperate need of a shower. But these Danes, not to be distracted by a ride in a fire engine went right back to they're workout! Treadmills and Stationary bikes to round out they're required workouts.

I was sore for the next 2 days...

We have 50 year-old firefighters in the states all over the place, but usually they fill the role of driver, Lt., or Captain. It was very inspiring to see these guys in action.

Funny thing is the firefighters I talked to are proud of they're strength and stamina, but don't claim to be particularly healthy. They smoke like chimneys, and when they're off shift they're no strangers to certain beverages either. I guess this reflects on the general health of Denmark as a country.


        Me and Jimmi, two thumbs up! (although his thumb is in front of mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment