Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Copenhagen Fire Brigade (CFB) 2011



                                                           
On May 3rd 2011 I traveled to Copenhagen, Denmark, to do three 24-hour ride alongs with different companies of the CFB. With a department history going back to 1687 (324 years) and modern European firefighting equipment/tactics, the CFB is a wonderful mix between tradition and innovation. 

H station (yes I took a photo of a photo) 

All of my shifts were out of the main “H” station, the watch tower is no longer in service, but the rest of the building is as alive as the day it was built. With a cobblestone courtyard, iron rings to tie the horses up to, and ancient diving helmets, one feels as though they re walking right into the past of the fire service.
                                For tying up the horses back in the day

                                 Old diving helmet hanging outside bay door

Chief Car 
During my first shift with the CFB I road with the “Chief in Charge” they’re command vehicle, which would respond to all the fires in Copenhagen.

On my second shift I was on the “H Engine Company” this would be equivalent to our Engine 1, in addition to being an engine company the H Company were all trained as smoke divers which I’’ get into later.

Pioneers' crane/fire truck

And on my last shift I road with the Pioneers/Engineers. Pioneers are the self-proclaimed badasses of the department, performing the operations which involve heavy equipment, i.e.: ventilation, extrication, technical rescue, SCUBA and water operations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment